NEW SUMMER 2018 SHOWS ANNOUNCED
See if we are coming to your area and get tickets here
FOR LISTENING AND LICENSING GO TO OUR EXTRACURRICULAR SECTION
We are headed to play hometown Alexandria, Virginia! The celebrated Birchmere has invited us to open for our friends the Bacon Brothers for three nights. DC area friends, we look forward to seeing you there. Working on other shows along the east coast, stay in touch with us, say hello via the email on this site, and have a great summer. Steady as she goes, citizens!
LATEST ALBUM AVAILABLE NOW: You See This River
Click on one of the links below to get your copy. It’s Brooklyn-based Americana ready to soothe your hot little souls, pump you up or cradle you, a la I’m With Her, Mumford and Sons, or Mandolin Orange.Lydia Hutchinson of Performing Songwriter:
It’s so beautiful – the melodies, arrangements, the voice, the whole vibe. It’s so consistently good, one of those rare recordings you can listen to all the way through, every track.Jason Valasquez of The Greylock Glass:
[Janie] released one of the very best albums in the Americana universe certainly of 2017, and likely this decade.Paula Cole, Grammy-winning producer/artist:
[This] album is so beautiful! I love it, honored to be on it! It's touching, heartfelt, and the lyrics are wonderful. It's on replay in my car!
The stories here are of the primal instinct for nostalgia, the beautiful and terrible journey up and down the river, the persistence, romanticism, and pig-headedness of humans. The title track captures this journey on the river – sometimes deliberate, sometimes meandering, indeed sometimes treacherous, with no apparent way to jump the current, all the while watched by those who choose to stand on the sidelines. All we might know for sure is that we’ll float another day.
We look forward to hearing your feedback after you order.
Order direct from me with Paypal ($18, free shipping included):
- April & May 2018We had such a great afternoon at City Winery NYC on April 15th. Our Urban Americana Tax Day Party brought together friends new and old, special guests Tookes, Freedy Johnston, Ben Stivers, and Darryl Tookes, and you! City Winery has been welcoming and enthusiastic and we will see you there in the fall! In May […]
- Creative Strings’ Christian Howes interview with JanieThis is a fascinating in-depth conversation between Janie and Christian Howes, for his platform Creative Strings. Christian is a brilliant musician and mentor to countless emerging artists, and a very thoughtful navigator of the issues that all creative people encounter. Enjoy the podcast of their conversation here! https://christianhowes.com/2018/03/29/a […]
- “Sweet Thursday” video premiered on Mother Church PewWe are thrilled the new video for “Sweet Thursday” premiered in late February on the all-things-Americana site Mother Church Pew. Thank you to Susan Hubbard for your excitement and support. Please check out the video – we hope it will put a smile on your face! And all y’all should check out this great […]
- Janie Previews Her Headline at Rockwood in Studio Session on WFUV!Janie performed in-studio for WFUV’s Sunday Supper before she headlines at Rockwood Music Hall in John Platt’s On Your Radar series on February 13. JANIE BARNETT & THE BLUE ROOM: 2018 Janie Barnett is a singer, songwriter, teacher, and networker. Born and raised in northern Virginia, she went to school in New England, before moving to NewYork City. […] […]
- Janie Featured on Bill Copeland Music News!Bill Copeland Music News featured Janie’s album You See This River and her upcoming shows. Buzz column: Cold month, hot music; get funked “February made me shiver…..” So let’s all go warm up at a hot show. Here are a few I have culled from my inbox: Americana singer-songwriter, Janie Barnett and her upcoming opening performance for folk duo and […] […]
- Janie Barnett Pens Guest Essay for New York Metro Parents!Janie was invited to contribute an essay for New York Metro Parents’ “Local Voices” column. Pursuing a Music Career While Raising a Daughter in Brooklyn How one mom’s newfound approach to life—discovered during pregnancy—allowed her to pursue a music career while raising a daughter in Brooklyn. Mothers everywhere know the struggle of “having it all”—trying t […]
- Janie Barnett Guest Writes for A Child Grows in Brooklyn!Janie Barnett reflects on one of the biggest influences and inspirations of You See This River, raising her daughter, on A Child Grows in Brooklyn. CHOOSING MEANINGFUL EXPERIENCES FOR YOUR KIDS Janie Barnett reflects on raising her daughter in Park Slope and how to encourage the most meaningful experiences for our children in this community of abundant […] […]
- “You See This River” Now Playing on Nature Mountain Radio!Nature Mountain Radio added “You See This River” to their regular rotation. Listen to the station here.
- The Greylock Glass Names “You See This River” One of the Best Albums of 2017!Jason Velasquez of The Greylock Glass named You See This River “one of the very best albums in the Americana universe certainly of 2017, and likely this decade.” The Greylock Glass produced and released FIFTY-EIGHT podcast episodes in 2017! To celebrate, we’re doing a year-in-review “listen back” over the year via Facebook. December 9, 2017 I think I produce […]
- “You See This River” Featured on Mostly Folk Podcast!Janie spoke with DJ Artie Martello of Mostly Folk about the inspiration behind many of her songs on You See This River. Listen to the episode here.